Convent of Santo Domingo

There is evidence the Dominican Mothers settled in Lekeitio in 1368, and that their order, probably, occupied the lands belonging to the Biscayan Lords “mansions”. However, the first convent was not established until 1396 after several land and property extensions. It suffered the consequences of the town large fires which devastated the town in 1442 and 1595; nevertheless it was rebuilt making use of the materials from the old buildings.
The most outstanding of the current complex is the gothic- Renaissance church, the main door from Santa Maria parish and the old low medieval wall delimiting the convent installations.