Old walls

In 1334 King Alfonso XI ordered the town of Lekeitio to be completed surrounded by a wall. The remains of the current wall correspond to the one erected at the end of the 15th century over the original. The walls had a thickness ranging between 1,70m and 2m. At certain intervals along the wall there was an square whachtower. Even today we can contemplate one of those towers, known today as “Torrezar”. It is located in the convent of the Dominican mothers and is considered the oldest building in the town today.
In calle Azpiri, next to Uribarria Palace are the preserved remains of another wall. This one was erected during the time of the Catholic Monarchs to act as firewall for the frequent fires which devastated the town.